Squirrels can wreak havoc in your birding nest. Despite their beauty, these animals can steal bird seeds, damage the bird feeders, and trash the garden. We advise that you avoid poisoning or killing them. You can install barriers, but these mightn’t be as effective. Purchase the best squirrel proof bird feeders to ensure that you can manage them. There are potential buyers still holding on their purchasing decisions because of uncertainty.
This guide will cover:
- The best bird feeders with a high squirrel-proof mechanism
- The best spinning squirrel-proof bird feeders
- The best hanging bird feeders
- The best multi-bird squirrel-proof feeder
- A few decorative squirrel deterrent bird feeders
- Superb choices for cardinals
- Excellent budget-friendly squirrel-proof bird feeders
- Common questions on these feeders and their answers
- A few customer thoughts and reviews
The Brome Buster Squirrel-proof bird feeder is chew-proof. This ensures that the squirrel doesn’t eat birdseed nor damage the trap. Its installation is in a hanging position of about 18’’ to ensure clearance on all sides. You will love how fresh the seeds in the feeder are. We attribute this to the excellent seed ventilation system. Your yard will be home to numerous beautiful wild birds because of this squirrel resistant bird feeder.
Larger bird feeder capacities save you the hassle of frequent refills. This one weighs 3LBs and can hold plenty of birdseed. It is cardinal and woodpecker friendly. The feeder takes an all-metal butterfly design to keep squirrels out of bird feeders. The manufacturer backs the hanging bird feeder with a functional warranty in case of any defects in material or malfunctions. A fascinating feature is an automatic adjustment. This is courtesy of the spring-loaded perches that need no manual changes.
Droll Yankee Bird feeder’s working mechanism is epic. The perches have bold calibration and are very weight sensitive. One a squirrel gets on it to steal birdseed, the feeder collapses under the animal’s weight. It can hold about five pounds of birdseed in the four feeding ports. The cap and base are from heavy-duty metal. Its seed tube is from UV-protected polycarbonate to avoid fading. Droll Yankee is a USA-made product guaranteeing your efficiency and durability.
More Birds designs this squirrel-proof feeder as an upgrade from its predecessor. The new feeder has four feeding ports making it one of the best multi-bird feeders for the money. The mouth is wider for more natural birdseed filling. This aids in preventing wastage. The seed capacity of the feeder is 4.2lbs, which is reasonably more substantial compared to most bird feeders with the squirrel-proof mechanism. The manufacturer has this in a simple design to allow you to empty and clean the feeder.
Bird feeders will either be in the yards or at the balconies. They have to be from weatherproof material because of exposure to adverse weather. This one is from high-grade steel. The bird feeder can carry only two suet cakes in the compartment. Air filtration is even to ensure the suet cakes remain fresh for long. This squirrel deterrent bird feeder is built with a clear design to allow the birdseed levels to be visible. The squirrel proof suet feeder weighs 2 pounds making it extremely lightweight and easy to handle
Although very simple in design, this squirrel-proof bird feeder boasts excellent aesthetics. Crystal clear acrylic is both functional and stylish. It comes with a removable birdseed tray for easy refilling of seeds. The design is entirely weatherproof to ensure that the seeds aren’t wet. Laser-drilled holes for drainage ensure moisture dissipation in case of windy rains. This prevents the seeds from being moldy or growing. The suction cups have industrial strength and keep the window of the bird feeder cage in excellent condition.
You wouldn’t want a very heavy bird feeder that can worry about the safety of your birds and adjacent items. This one weighs 2.1 pounds, which is reasonable for these squirrel-proof feeders. The anti-squirrel bird feeder is from ABS plastic material, which is high-quality, weatherproof, and very durable. The four seed ports make the squirrel-proof bird feeder pole one of the efficient multiple bird feeders for the money. The cage is powder-coated to bar squirrels from eating seed and damaging the feeder. Its maximum seed capacity is 1.25lbs.
Birds get attracted to beautiful spots and delicious seeds. This package combines the two factors guaranteeing you pure entertainment in your yard. Its 6’’ hook is rut-proof, and the metallic construction of the feeder tolerant to all weather conditions. There are six feeding ports to allow a large number of birds to feed at the same time. The bird feeder squirrel guard’s seed holding capacity s up to 1bs of sunflower seeds with effortless refilling sessions. There is a 100% money-back guarantee on this product if you are dissatisfied.
A lifetime care guarantee on the product is a remarkable aspect. The company offers free replacements on broken or damaged parts. Once a squirrel lands on the feeder, its weight closes the shroud, and this keeps squirrels out of bird feeder. The animal can’t eat birdseed anymore. As you load the suet into the squirrel buster bird feeder, the action is grease-free. It comes with a spring mechanism to adjust the weight of the bird feeder.
KINGWOLFOX designs and makes this bird feeder from natural wood. The aesthetic blends well with the position you keep it. The wood undergoes intense treatment to make it free from damage from adverse weather conditions. Its birdseed holding capacity is up to six cups. You can put one type of seeds or create a mixture.
Bird rearing besides being a fun activity, adds to the aesthetic value of your space. There are a plethora of these products in the current market. However, selecting the best from the rest is usually the problem. You can check the above products on Amazon. If you are still hesitant to make a purchase, see our FAQ section below for clarity.
FAQ’s and Buying Guide of Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder
Destruction from squirrels in birdcages and nests is a primary complaint of bird farmers. What makes the situation worse is the lack of know-how on barring these animals. So many questions arise concerning the use and handling of squirrel-proof bird feeders. We have put together a few of them and their answers. This is to help you make the right purchase decision.
How We Picked 10 Best Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder
While you can traditionally broadcast seed to the birds, there are more decent ways of offering seeds to the birds. The main problem is risking attack by hungry squirrels. To identify the best bird feeders that are squirrel proof, here are some of our triggering issues:
- Rusting due to exposure to air and moisture
- Frequent breakage due to cheap material
- Smaller feeding pores
- Bird seeds growing mold
- Rainwater falling into the seed tubes or trays
- Frequent refilling problems
- Spillage and wastage of bird seeds while feeding
Revolution of Bird Feeder
Bird feeding began in 1845 in America by Henry David Thoreau at Walden Pond. Later in 1926, the first bird feeder was manufactured for hummingbirds. Its commercial release was in the same yeas. Currently, numerous manufacturers are designing and making these bird feeders. Advancements have seen others creating squirrel proof bird feeders.
Types of Bird Feeders
- Hopper Feeders: They come with a seed holding chamber dispensing in the bottom via openings birds sit on the base as they feed.
- Tube Feeders: You can mount them on the wall, hang it from a support, and it has a baffle below. These bird feeder squirrel guards come in different sizes with large ports.
- Peanut Feeders: These hold peanuts and have mesh openings for the birds to keep plucking out the pieces. It offers total foolproof.
- Thistle feeders: They carry very tiny thistles. You can’t fill standard tubes with these types of seeds.
- Platform Feeders: These are advisable for both large and small birds. They can be hung or suctioned to a glass window.
- Suet Feeders: Such squirrel proof suet feeders come in wire cages. They are excellent for filling in suet cakes and feeding birds with them
Tips before You Purchase
- Material: The choice of material is crucial. Some squirrel-proof bird feeders are from ABS plastic, other from natural wood, acrylic, or high-grade metal. The material has to be weatherproof as these items will be outdoors. They should withstand adverse weather conditions.
- Seed Pores: These are the feeding holes that release the grains for the birds to access. Each feeder has its number of pores. The majority have four to eight.
- Size: How big do you want your bird feeder? If you want a larger model, it shouldn’t have any hindrance to your daily activities.
- Seed Holding Capacity: This is the amount of birdseed that the feeder can hold. This will go hand in hand with size. Larger anti squirrel bird feeders hold more while smaller ones hold less.
How to Keep Squirrels out of Bird Feeders
The two advisable ways of keeping squirrels out of the bird feeders are by covering the poles and applying pepper on the feeder. Pepper-based repellents put away these animals. The taste and smell are awful to them. To cover the squirrel-proof bird feeder pole, you can add a few layers of tubing from plastic material around the poles. You can choose a spinning bird feeder whose action is annoying and frightening to these animals.
How high can a Squirrel Jump?
Squirrels are small but can jump greater distances. These animals jump about five to six feet up from a ground surface, house, or a tree. This is the reason you need a bird feeder cage. This keeps squirrels out of bird feeders.
How to hang a Bird Feeder
You can hang a bird feeder on a tree, a pole, or a balcony ceiling. It should be hanging at 6 feet. Get a squirrel baffle to keep over the feeder. This will prevent these animals from climbing downwards on the wire that suspends the best squirrel proof bird feeder.
How to Stop Squirrels from Climbing Bird Feeder Pole
Below are a few ways that you can use to prevent squirrels from climbing up the bird feeder pole to eat bird seeds:
- Install a DIY squirrel baffle
- Make a slinky attachment
- Buy a squirrel spinner
- Use the 5,7,9 rule to adjust your feeders
- Mix the seeds with cayenne
- Give safflower seeds to the birds
- You can use Vaseline though it is harmful
How to make a Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder
Step 1: Collect all Equipment
You will need a 2L soda bottle, galvanized steel wire, number 6 screws, 2’’ eyebolts and nuts, 1’’ PVC spin to make a hanging bird feeder.
Step 2: The Assembling Process
Cut seed ports in a triangular shape. Use the galvanized steel tied from tree to tree with the soda bottle at the center. Insert the PVC in the seed ports to a proper height. This will form a standing platform for the birds to stand on and feed. Fill the soda bottle with bird seeds, and your squirrel resistant bird feeders are ready. However, you can choose to make the squirrel buster bird feeder design.
Will Vaseline keep Squirrels off Bird Feeders?
Yes, Vaseline will try to keep off the squirrels. It is petroleum jelly and will stick on their body and fur. Squirrels will attempt to get the Vaseline off by ingesting it. Caution: Vaseline ingestion is harmful to squirrels and other animals.
Until this point, you aren’t blank on what squirrel-proof bird feeders are and what they do. This review and buyer’s guide is informative. You can now choose the best feeder depending on the bird species you want to attract. Your bird seeds will also be a determinant. Once you identify the best choices from our list, you can check squirrel proof bird feeder Amazon collections to get the feeders shipped to your area of choice.
- Huffington Post: Squirrel Gets Trapped In Bird Feeder: 09 November 2012
- Piotr Tryjanowski, Federico Morelli , Anders Pape Møller, Piotr Zduniak , Piotr Indykiewicz, and Łukasz Myczko: Food preferences by birds using bird-feeders in winter: a large-scale experiment: 18 May 2018
- Daryl N. Jones and Silas James Reynolds: Feeding birds in our towns and cities: A global research opportunity: May 2008